Friday, July 23, 2004

Today is chocolate chips cookies


Last night I had the dubious pleasure of stocking the cookie aisle. What is UP with this? I counted no less than 30 brands of cookies, not including the varieties!

Why are you so willing to eat these sugary pieces of cardboard rather than make your own? It can’t really be the time factor, some of the most complicated cookies I make take less than 2 hours.

2 hours folks, please! You spend more time than that watching the tube in a stupor after eating your fast food.

Nothing conveys 'love' (or 'like') like freshly baked cookies.

When my sons visit, the first thing they want to know is "Where is the cookie dough?”

Grandnieces (I seem to have a million) all go straight to the cookie jar.

Granddaughter is a bit young yet, but she knows, she knows...

My personal favorite is a banana-walnut-oatmeal-raisin that I created one day when everyone at work was asking for 'something new'.

The boss (major yum factor of 37) liked them so much; I had to make them at least twice a month, just for him! Of course, he did share.

In this chapter, however we will explore the universal favorite, chocolate chip.

Now, I don't like crisp or hard cookies. I like them soft and/or chewy, so I've adjusted recipes to make them my own, and to make my cookies soft. To me, soft makes them seem fresher somehow.


Now for the recipe;

5 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups butter, softened

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

4 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

2 cups chopped walnuts (not an option in my mind)

Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugars in a large bowl.

Beat in the baking soda until blended.

Stir in the eggs and vanilla.

Mix in the flour.

Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes.

Edges should be golden brown.

Remove from pan and set to cool on a rack.

Set the guard dogs up around the table.

Make SURE you have plenty of milk on hand, as these will be eaten as fast as your back is turned, even while you’re putting the next pan into the oven.

That’s all for today.

No comments: