Thursday, July 29, 2004

on apathy



Apathy
as I see it.

When you don't care about something, you're said to be apathetic.

I don't completely agree with this.

I don't care what your sister's husband's cousin's fiance had for dinner last Tuesday, does that make me apathetic?

No, it just means I'm not interested.

I don't care how the election turns out, does that make me apathetic? (hypothetical case)

Yes, it does. It means that I don't care how the future of my country (as well as yours) turns out. It means that no matter how hard YOU might try, things may not change for the better or the worse, because you can't make ME see my own apathy.

Every person counts. Every fire lit under some apathetic ass helps. Every spark ignited in some boob-tube-dulled eye makes a difference.

But apathy isn't just for people who don't vote. I see it all the time in people I personally believe in.

Friends who make grand plans, then don't work towards the goal, end up whining because it didn't "happen" to them. Things don't just "happen" to you. You have to MAKE the event, whatever it may be.

You have to put that one foot in front of the other, put pencil to paper, put oils to canvas, put music to the dreams you had last night, or you'll always be wondering why.

Why didn't that happen to me?

Help fight apathy today, go DO something that means something to you.
Find something that you turn a blind eye, or deaf ear to and learn about it.
Volunteer, learn something new, taste a different flavor.

DO SOMETHING!

No comments: